Is this the Craziest Fruit you ever did see?!!

10/7/09


This fruit is so wonderful and juicy with a nice sweet flavor, that is if you can get past the looks and actually try it. They are about the size of a golf ball, and you pop open the skin and this clear/whitish fruit is inside, much like a grape that has the skin taken off. You pop the whole white pod in your mouth and suck on it around the seed. When all the juice is gone you spit out the seed. You cannot cut the meat away from the seed with a knife and eat it like a mango, you must suck on the seed. But, after my initial hesitation, I tried it, and now I, and all my friends, by these by the bag full. Really, they taste just like candy!

2 comments:

Tambopaxi said...

This is the Central American version of the lychee fruit that is common through Southeast Asia. I lived for years in Central America and I'm embarrassed to say that I've forgotten the Honduran/Salvadoran name for the fruit. If you get a chance, please ask someone in the neighborhood what this fruit is called in Spanish, and post it; my fading memory bank would appreciate it very much!

Sandy said...

Hi Tambopaxi,

I will indeed try and find someone who knows the spanish name for this fruit. I think it must be out of season now, cause I haven't seen it for sale on every street corner for awhile. I actually heard it before when I bought some, but as I remember, it was kind of a crazy name and I didn't write it down. I will this time!!

I went to your blog, but you haven't posted in awhile. Thought it would be interesting to hear your views of what's happening in the states now.

Thanks for leaving a comment, they are far and few between.
~Sandy

Post a Comment