early morning and where is some coffee!!

8/17/09

One thing my friends and family know about me, is that first thing in the morning I HAVE to have my cup of java. Not just want, but,I am a bit crazy until I get down the a couple good draws on a nice foamy latte or cafe con leche. Best not to talk to me until then. So after a lovely night (not) in the best hotel in town (good news and not so good news) I throw myself together enough to walk downstairs to the lobby and restaurant to get whatever kind of coffee they have available to drink while I finish getting ready.
Now, you know without asking that there are no coffee pots in the rooms, don't be silly, I didn't expect that. I didn't even expect much of a room, but I would have liked a WINDOW!!! (more on that later).
So I trot downstairs to the lobby, and wait! whats this?! The front door to the hotel is closed, locked, not open. What if I had wanted to pay and check out?? Oh well, I will just walk down the street and find a coffee shop, or something no problemo.
I am telling you now, that I could not find a place at 8 oclock in the morning that was open to get a cup of coffee. I was getting desperate! I ran up to a taxi driver, cause they know everything about their towns right, and in my best broken espanol, I say, "Donde cafe (coffee in espanol) awww, restaurante, cafe??" I am pantomining drinking a cup of the good stuff and the driver says " ummm, cafe, ummmm" and he is turning his head in all directions and I can see he is thinking where can I tell this poor girl to go to get some coffee, and he looks back at me and says, "no, no place, no restaurante, nada."with this apologetic look on his face. Oh no, what am I doing here, this can't be, how can this be?? I only want a simple cup of coffee, I am in Costa Rica, known for its wonderful rich java joe.
I can't quite believe this is happening, but on the walk back to the hotel, I spot this little, tini tiny restaurant that just opened its doors. Yea! so I go in and have coffee and breakfast. I am human again. (confession: My watch said 8 oclock, but it was really 7. No one had told me there was a time difference between Costa Rica and Panama.)
Later in the day I find this bakery, really, a very nice bakery (much better selection than any bakery I have seen in Panama). And they have a wonderful espresso machine and I think this is a good thing, or maybe its very, very bad!!! yum yum

And the best part of the trip is still to come.
Wilson's Botanical Gardens!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment