Day 2 ~ leaving San Vito and hello Botanical Gardens!

8/21/09

This appeared to me to be the city square. Saturday there were venders selling and music.
This is the balcony off the back door of the hotel in San Vito. Very lovely view off the balcony, but it was only big enough for barely 1 chair if you sat sideways (looks much bigger in the picture) and there was no other window in the room to look out of at the view. The room was like being in a box. Something I don't like. I like windows, the more the better. There was a window on the opposite wall, but it opened into a hallway (open air hallway, but still a hallway) which meant you had to leave the curtain closed or folks would be looking right in at you. So with that closed there was only this small door that opened to the balcony and this lovely view. However you couldn't see it from the beds because the bathroom wall was in the way, so, like I said, it was like being in a box. To see outside you had to walk around the wall and stand by the door. Hard to explain, but I hope you are getting the picture. For those of you interested it was 49. a night american dollars.
Now on to bigger and better things........ DO REMEMBER TO CLICK ON THE PICS TO MAKE THEM BIGGER FOR MORE DETAIL.
I had been hearing about Wilson's Botanical Gardens even before I made my trip, but I thought it was on a completely different road, another couple hours away. Can you imagine my joy when I discovered it was only 15 minutes from where I spent the first night! What a beautiful, amazing place. It is a ecological study center and they only rent a few cabins to help offset their expenses. I was so afraid it was going to be closed 'cause this is the slow (winter) season, but I found out they are open year round.
This pic is the main visitors center, lobby, and gift shop. The cabins are a bit further up the hill along with the restaurant and offices and study rooms.
The restaurant was family style and had several long tables inside and 3 outside on this large patio with an absolutely breathtakingly beautiful view. You sat with the other guests and it was quite interesting. I met a lovely couple from Austria who were here studying frogs. I really learned alot about frogs from them in the 2 days I was there, and believe me folks, it is not good news. They say that we can learn the health of the planet from the health of the frogs. And I am sad to say, that they are dying off in many parts of many countries.
MY ROOM!!!! Look at those windows! The whole wall is windows! And a private balcony that overlooks the beautiful gardens. I feel like I am in heaven, and I haven't even told you about the plants in the gardens yet. I could have stayed here much longer. Serene, peaceful, birds everywhere, and Agouti running around like crazy. A mother and her twin babies lived just below my balcony. I will post a picture next time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment